[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Sarah Stierch sarah at sarahstierch.com
Mon May 16 16:30:19 UTC 2011

On 5/16/2011 11:19 AM, Cecil wrote:

> 2011/5/16 Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at yahoo.com <mailto:jayen466 at yahoo.com>>
>
>     There seems to be a worrying tendency to treat Commons as a
>     gallery for non-notable art.
>
>     It's an educational project, not a vehicle for self-promotion.
>
>     A.
>

> Actually, Wikipedia is the educational project, not Commons.
> Commons is a repository for media of all kind. There is nowhere the
> restriction that a file has to be educational.

I guess I have misunderstood the welcome page of Commons for years now:

Wikimedia Commons is a*media file repository*making available public
domain and freely-licensed educational media content (images, sound and
video clips) to everyone,in their own language
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Language_policy>. It acts as
a common repository for the various projects of theWikimedia Foundation
<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/>, but you do not need to belong to
one of those projects to use media hosted here. The repository is
created and maintained not by paid archivists, but by volunteers. The
scope of Commons is set out on theproject scope
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Project_scope>pages.

#wikilove,

Sarah
--
Wikipedia Regional Ambassador, D.C. Region
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American Art