[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Sarah Stierch sarah at sarahstierch.com
Mon May 16 16:08:31 UTC 2011

On 5/16/2011 10:43 AM, Gnangarra wrote:
> Tobias
>
> Please explain how does one participate when their employment contract
> specifically states that viewing of sexually explicit material over
> the internet is a dismissable offense.
>
> The issue isnt hosting the image its about where its displayed.

As I previously wrote, and perhaps Tobias is still catching up on
emails, there are plenty of places in the United States where this image
would be inappropriate to display.

I give lectures, about Wikipedia. I pull up Wikipedia and Commons often
in front of large groups of people - college students, museum
colleagues, PhD candidates, college professors - if you think this image
is the best we have to show these people "oh we're serious, oh, you
should contribute" then I'm fighting the wrong fight.

And yeah, boobs, butts or whatever - I'm surprised someone hasn't pulled
out the "but...National Geographic..." card yet.

#wikilove,

Sarah

--
Wikipedia Regional Ambassador, D.C. Region
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American Art