[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Chris McKenna cmckenna at sucs.org
Mon May 16 15:47:13 UTC 2011

On Mon, 16 May 2011, Sarah Stierch wrote:

> Like I said, which I'm having a feeling wasn't even read by many - you cannot
> pull THAT front page of Commons up in a classroom or educational environment
> and have it celebrated by a middle school teacher. Some of her kids might
> think it's "cool" or "hot", but, if I'd be one pissed parent. All it takes is
> one pissed parent, who overreacts, to report to the news that "my kid was
> shown porn at school/museum/church/camp/after school workshops/whatever' and
> all hell will break lose.

In which case you should not be displaying Wikimedia Commons in such
environments. Wikimedia Commons is an uncensored image repository, not a
repository of images suitable for uncontroversial display to middle school
teachers in whichever country you are in.

----
Chris McKenna

cmckenna at sucs.org
www.sucs.org/~cmckenna