[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Mon May 16 15:19:13 UTC 2011

On 5/16/11 7:55 AM, Chris McKenna wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2011, geni wrote:
>
>> On 16 May 2011 09:56, Chris McKenna<cmckenna at sucs.org>  wrote:
>>> Am I alaone in completely failing to understand what the fuss is about?
>> Your statement isn't credible.
> I don't understand what is not credible about my statement? I honestly do
> not understand why anybody finds this image objectionable.

OK then, if you really do not understand, your best course of action
here is to keep quiet, take what others say at face value, and spend
some time to really absorb what it means.  You are not going to come up
with a brilliant comment that causes all readers to abandon their
cherished values and switch to sharing yours.

The photo of the day, and in general the front page, is all about making
good first impressions.  All the people who value uncensored images have
already seen Commons by now, and the choice of front page content
doesn't affect them.  So what we're really talking about is making a
good first impression on everybody else, and to do that we should choose
images that are appealing across the broadest range of people
worldwide.  That means G-rated, that means no advocacy in current
conflicts, that means no blood, no nasty diseases, etc.  Once people are
"in the door" so to speak, then they can choose whether they want to go
into the Hall of Fluffy Bunnies or the Dungeon of Sexual Atrocities
Being Committed by People with Oozing Skin Rashes. :-)

Stan

(There are days when I'm not really being paid enough to review latest
files.  Yuck!!)