[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon May 16 14:40:41 UTC 2011

On 16 May 2011 15:29, Chris McKenna <cmckenna at sucs.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2011, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
>
>> There seems to be a worrying tendency to treat Commons as a gallery for non-notable art.
>> It's an educational project, not a vehicle for self-promotion.
>> A.
>
> This image can be used in educational encyclopaedia articles about
> anime/manga, (female) toplessness, contemporary art, fictional landscapes,
> depictions of humans in art, art produced on computers, debates
> surrounding any of these topics, and almost certainly many other uses too.

The image could be printed on paper and used to construct a Pykrete
derivative. Are you going to try arguing that it's bulletproof as
well?

> It therefore seems to me to be a very good example of educational material
> that Commons should be hosting.

If it was actually a very good example it is to be expected that it
would appear in the article name space of some of our projects. So
that the fact it seems to you to be a very good example merely makes
your judgment questionable.

--
geni