[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon May 16 13:27:12 UTC 2011

On 16 May 2011 09:56, Chris McKenna <cmckenna at sucs.org> wrote:
> Am I alaone in completely failing to understand what the fuss is about?

Your statement isn't credible.

> The image is not pornographic,

Citation needed

>exploitative, illegal or otherwise
> inapropriate for featured picture status.

Yes you may not be aware of it but there are many projects out there
that are able to distinguish between "featured X" and "must appear on
the main page"

> If you want to any keep images off the main page that are "sexy",
> "pornographic", "offensive" or any other arbitrary label you wish to
> choose, please start by defining in a neutral, objective and culturally
> independent manner every such label you want to use.

Within the context of the culture it was produced in the image is
clearly an attempt at low level errotica

> Secondly, please explain how this is compatible with Commons being not
> censored.

Main page is not equal to commons.

> Thirdly, please define precisely what it is you are trying to achieve and
> why. Please do so in an objective and culturally independent manner.

We are trying to demonstrate that commons is not a sexualised enviroment.

> Please explain how your comments are neutral and take into account the
> sensitivities of all cultures and special interest groups, not just your
> own.

You first.

--
geni