[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Mon May 16 07:58:13 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 12:03 AM, Huib Laurens <sterkebak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Phoebe,
>
> Its not discussed..
>
> The process is very simple. You add a picture for Featured pictures if it
> makes the vote and become featured picture you or anybody can just add it to
> be a POTD there is no process there anymore. Just add and wait.
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_day/Instructions
>
> Best,
>
> Huib

Thanks all! That explains why I couldn't find a process :)

It sounds like the place to engage is featured picture discussions,
then; and perhaps developing picture of the day guidelines that take
into some of the considerations that people have brought up about the
potential for main page images to shock or be inappropriate for
viewing in a wide variety of settings. As others have pointed out, the
question of whether something is good for main-page placement is
different from the general question of inclusion (or even featuring,
though it seems they're one and and the same on commons).

-- phoebe