[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon May 16 03:01:43 UTC 2011

On 16 May 2011 03:53, Aaron Adrignola <aaron.adrignola at gmail.com> wrote:
> Commons is not censored.

However most projects are mature enough to establish quiet lists of
featured content that will not make it to the main page.

>It's a beautiful scene and it would be expected
> that the an imaginary tribal member would not have the American
> sensitivities to toplessness.

An imaginary tribal member who's skin and hair colour are almost
exclusively limited to northern latitudes where such clothing would be
considered impractical. I'm sorry but I think the national geographic
secured exclusive rights to that argument some years ago.

There is not in any case any need to bring purely american standards into this.

>Some images may offend.  Some articles may
> offend.  We're not going to compromise our core values just to try to close
> a "gap" that some feel is such a big issue, if it even exists.

1)It does exist. Denial is not a helpful response

2)not putting certain images on the main page doesn't impact our
values on way or the other.

--
geni