[Commons-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Friendliness

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 23 20:34:29 UTC 2011

On 2/23/11 11:48 AM, Daniel Schwen wrote:
>> Would it be that hard to keep track of users' contribution levels, and
> Yes. It actually would be.
> 1) you need to program bots to be aware of "users' contribution levels"
> 2) You need to write, maintain and translate multiple levels of messages.
>
> Boils down to my main point (don't worry David Gerard did not read it either):
> We do not have the resources for that.

Exactly as you say, it's a vicious cycle - do things that discourage
people from participating, then say that nothing can be changed because
the people aren't available.

It would very easy to encourage better bot-writing; toughen up the
rules, and don't approve bots until they adhere to those rules.  I'm
routinely astonished at what is permitted, but in the few cases where
I've said something about it, the response has been to argue or ignore.
So I've learned my lesson, don't say anything.

Stan