[Commons-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Friendliness

Siebrand Mazeland s.mazeland at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 23 15:20:14 UTC 2011

Not sure if anything as described below has ever been suggested, let alone
rejected. Wikimedia projects usually do not work in the same way as Paul
has indicated in the example for Flickr. "Ownership" is the main
difference, I think, but ways of using and embedding the resources are
also very different.

Still, each media upload on Commons has a media revision history, which
indicates which user has uploaded the media, and there is a direct link to
the user talk page of the uploader. From a page in a random Wikimedia
where the media is being used, it takes 4 clicks to comment to the
uploader, although this does not immediately provide a connection to the
media file:

1. Click media in Wikimedia project page.
2. Click link to commons from Image: resource page in local Wikimedia
project.
3. Click link to uploader talk page.
4. Click link to create new page section for commenting.

I agree; this is quite a journey, and many will probably fail to complete
this challenge. What user story would be fitting here? From there, a
solution could be designed.

Siebrand