[Commons-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Friendliness

Paul Houle paul at ontology2.com
Wed Feb 23 14:58:50 UTC 2011

  On 2/22/2011 9:49 PM, Gnangarra wrote:

> A philosphical point is that we hold is that once an image is released
> we actively discourage the author taking, holding ownership of the
> image we expect them to accept what ever the community decides to do
> with the image. Yet the moment there's an issue we expect them to take
> ownership and address the problems, obviously if its a license issue
> they have to but for any other issue it shouldnt be, we should notify
> about discussions involving an image but it should be as a courtesy
> and the language should reflect that courtesy. We have scripts for
> closing the deletion discussion so it should not be too hard to modify
> them to identify the Uploader and advise them of the outcome, again as
> a courtesy.

     As someone who develops media collections,  I've been thinking a
lot about the role of community,  and in my mind,  Flickr is the site
that is the most successful at attracting photographers because Flickr
is all about the photographer.  The way comments and favorites work is
particularly sticky because you know you're giving feedback directly to
the person who took the picture.