[Commons-l] Waverley Encyclopedia scanned

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 23:52:31 UTC 2011

On 24 December 2011 23:42, Maarten Dammers <maarten at mdammers.nl> wrote:
> Op 24-12-2011 18:19, David Gerard schreef:

>> http://fentonville.co.uk/waverley/
>> Put up by a J.G.Ballard fan, but those who like old encyclopedias will
>> enjoy this. The colour plates would definitely be of historical
>> interest. I've suggested Commons and Wikisource to Mike Bosnall, but
>> you don't need to wait on that to grab anything good.

> What PD license (template) would this be?
> It would be easy to transfer all these pdf's to Commons as one big book.

Thaaaaat's ... a good question. Front page says "undated, but internal
evidence suggests it was produced in the 1920s." It would have fallen
out of copyright in the UK by now. It would not have been published in
the US.

geni, what would your knowledge of UK copyright quirks make of this?

If it's OK, it would probably be worth asking Mike Bonsall for the
original TIFF scans, rather than what we have here, which is TIFFs
wrapped in PDF. Unless there's an easy programmatic method of
extracting the TIFF at full resolution, which would be strictly better
than the PDF versions in all cases.

- d.