[Commons-l] WebGL enabled in Firefox nightlies

bawolff bawolff+wn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 19:31:36 UTC 2009

> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 19:46:18 -0500
> From: Daniel Schwen <lists at schwen.de>
> Subject: Re: [Commons-l] WebGL enabled in Firefox nightlies
> To: Wikimedia Commons Discussion List <commons-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
>
> > Back from the old days of VRML - I remember there used to be a plugin
>
> Uhm, VRML is dead. And it's successor is not WebGL, but X3D. There are
> plenty of plugins for all operating systems. FreeWRL [1] and
> InstantPlayer [2]
> being two of the more active projects
>
> [1] http://freewrl.sourceforge.net/
> [2] http://www.instantreality.org/downloads/

Yes i know - the point being (and bear in mind i don't know very much
about 3d stuff, so take anything i say with salt) that if we wanted to
display some content natively to firefox using web gl, and than have a
java applet as a back up if no native support. (like we do for ogg).
the java vrml players were java applets that displayed 3d things,
hence i assume they could be used as a backup (I have no idea if thats
true or not). The point of it being java is that people wouldn't have
to download plugin

-Cheers,
bawolff.