[Commons-l] Where to report hotlinking?

Alex Brollo alex.brollo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 11:29:11 UTC 2009

2009/9/16 Hay (Husky) <huskyr at gmail.com>

> Because it's not the server of the website that loads this url, but
> the users browser it is a bit difficult to see if an image is actually
> hotlinked, although it can be prevented.
>
> -- Hay

What about adding/editing some basic EXIF data (author,licence) into
uploaded Commons files that support them, like jpg? They can be deleted by a
malicius user into downloads, but they will be saved when hotlinked. I don't
know if any EXIF managing is currently done on Commons files; IMHO it could
be useful, for a number of reasons, and not only for hotlinking.

As a "hotlinker" (far from a very active one), thanks for your comments, as
I told you I use hotlinkg mainly into "volatile" communication tools like
forums and not into websites. It would be great if an informative box would
be added to File: page, containing a brief mention to general Mediawiki
politics about hotlinking and  the html code for a correct hotlinking, if
really needed.

Alex