[Commons-l] Video skills and equipment

bawolff bawolff+wn at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 05:41:12 UTC 2009

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 03:52:53 -0400
> From: Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Commons-l] Video skills and equipment
> To: Wikimedia Commons Discussion List <commons-l at lists.wikimedia.org>

[snip]

> Even ignoring the skills and time issue, I don't think it's currently
> possible to do decent staged videography without a couple thousand
> dollars in lighting and camera equipment (and even at then we're not
> talking fantastic results).
>
> So I've laid down the gauntlet and said it couldn't be done: So now
> someone gets to come and prove me wrong and show me some excellent
> work done on a small budget. :)

[snip]

A couple years ago, someone (user:David Vasquez) made a wikinews video
brodcast that was very good. So i think it can be done, its just
rather difficult. (However it wasn't done on an extremely small
budget, but it wasn't hugely expensive either as far as i know). Links
if anyones interested:

- http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikinews11Apr2005_Demo_(high_quality).ogg
- http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:WikinewsSpecialReportCCDC.ogg

-bawolff

p.s. If i recall - Wikiversity has a large section on video making.