[Commons-l] Pikiwiki project problems

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 23:06:37 UTC 2009

Dror Kamir wrote:
> We the people of the Commos? And what am I? A stranger?
> By this saying alone you prove my point that there is a serious problem
> with the way this project is perceived by its administrators.

Commons is atypical in the sense that it has much more people in the
boundary of its community, using commons to host the files but not
staying enough to understand how it works.
If you were so integrated into the community, you wouldn't probably have
had so much templating problems. That doesn't mean it's your fault,
Images is one of the most complex tasks at our wikis.
How much maintenance have you done at commons?

> - The upload bot uses a standard Commons' template. I didn't see any
> rigid rules about how this template should be filled in. We did our best
> to fill it in properly. In any case, all the information needed is
> there. Some amendments can and will be made, but blocking the project
> for placing the "source" information two lines below where expected??
> Having a bot which will fix minor errors in previously uploaded template
> is not as hard as you suggest.

Then I expect you to make it in a couple of hours and either provide it
to us or run it yourself. :)
Glad you see it that way, having it available and running before
resuming uploads shouldn't then be a problem for you.

> - The images contributed are saved on the Commons. They are saved
> temporarily before they are uploaded and then deleted from the temporary
> server. By blocking the upload bot you caused a jam at the temporary
> server, and quite soon the whole project will freeze, as people won't be
> able to keep loading images.
>
> Dror K

I understood that it was kept *both* at pikiwiki and commons. I now
understand why you considered it so important and didn't stop the bot
when problems arose.