[Commons-l] Commons licensing for chapter-owned copyrights

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 00:54:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 7:11 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/4 Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez at gmail.com>:
>
>> once you start thinking on "possible liabilities" you're walking the fair
>> use lane on commons.
>> Commons is by definition a free content file repo. That's akin to saying
>> "let's host some nonfree articles copied from wikipedia if we can determine
>> we won't get in trouble"
>

> He's talking about WMF chapter images, not any random crap! Claiming
> this is a "slippery slope" danger is, frankly, utterly ridiculous and
> not to be taken seriously.

Chapter images? Like ... educational works authored by the chapters?

…

The best way to avoid wanky idiocy is to *BE* *SPECIFIC*. If you can't
be specific then perhaps slippery slope arguments do apply.

I suggest a simple criteria: How about we allow copyright restricted
uploads only of trademarked marks from organizations with a trademark
licensing agreement with the WMF?  I think that limits the whom it
applies to without needlessly special casing chapters, and it removes
any slippery slope argument because it tightly confines the scope.