[Commons-l] License migration opt-out

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 00:48:43 UTC 2009

Since this is a far reaching decision I am trying to advertise it broadly.

The license migration announced by the Foundation will add CC-BY-SA to
~1.7 million images licensed GFDL 1.2 or later.  Some authors feel
that doing this to their works is unfair.  Out of respect for these
authors' concerns, the Foundation has given the communities the
discretion to set opt-out criteria and exclude some works from the
relicensing effort if the copyright holder explicitly requests it.

However, we can also choose not to permit any opt-out at all.

I'd like to gather the community's consensus on whether an opt-out
provision should be allowed.

Please participate in that discussion on Commons at:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:License_Migration_Task_Force#Allowing_people_to_opt-out_of_the_License_Migration.3F_Yes.2FNo.3F

Thank you.

-Robert Rohde