[Commons-l] [Fwd: Pikiwiki - Israel free image collection project - Starting engines]

ChrisiPK chrisipk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 19:08:54 UTC 2009

Sorry, I hit the wrong button at the wrong time. Here goes again:

> The basic idea (as
> described in details on the Meta) is to call upon the Israeli public to
> look in their family albums and private collections for pictures of
> Israeli-related pictures of special historical, anthropological,
> archeological, geographical, zoological and/or botanical value.
I am unsure whether it is a good idea to explicitly ask people to
upload stuff from their image collections. Those are often by several
different authors, which are now hard to identify. Thus we might get
licensing problems with these images, as people will upload images
from their collections they have, but don't know the author and will
give out a license anyway.

> We would like the localized site to serve not
> only as an upload site but also as an attraction to pupils, students,
> teacher and the general public, where they can look for images using
> Hebrew interface
Actually I don't understand why we need to have a Commons clone in
Hebrew. Wouldn't it be better if you contributed to the Hebrew
localisation of the MediaWiki interface and the templates on Commons?

> The localized site saves the images temporarily and eventually sends
> them to the Commons.
This actually sounds like a very bad idea. Transferring images should
IMHO not be done automatically without human control. After all, your
site is kind of like Flickr. We don't import from there automatically,
we wait for users to ask for the import of an image. That way we have
a sanity check which images are transferred and which are not. There
are cases, where the photographer has given out a free license, but
other people also hold rights to the image. Those cannot be used on
Commons. Also an automatic transfer would allow people to bring in
images without checking them. Your upload bot will surely get a bot
flag and will thus not be checked by RecentChanges people or bots.
This gives vandals a great way to upload images without having an
account on Commons or even being blocked there.

> 1. Users will name the images and describe them in Hebrew. We will add
> the prefix "Pikiwiki" to the name, and probably an ID which will enable
> us to locate the image in our own catalog. So a typical name might look
> something like "pikiwiki_123456_ציפורים_נודדות_מעל_מכתש_רמון.jpg". If
> friendlier names are required, we will have to think of a better idea.
Please remember, that Commons is a multi-lingual project. It would be
great if you could choose to upload the files with English file names.
Otherwise, I am afraid nobody will be able to make good use of them.
Only very few people actually speak Hebrew and those who don't find
themselves unable to even type the file name of the image. That is why
I'd really prefer to see file names with a latin charset. Adding
English descriptions also helps other people to understand what the
image actually shows and to sort the image into categories (I presume
the bot will be unable to do this, right?).

> 2. As mentioned above, we would like to present the images on the
> localized site too, according to localized categories. Therefore, we
> would like to attach an ID to each image, so we could trace it easily on
> the Commons. Currently, adding this ID to the image name seems the
> easiest option.
As stated above, I don't think we should have a Commons clone site. I
also don't understand why you need to put IDs in the image file names.
You store the file name in your database anyway, so why do you still
need the images to have an ID?

> 3. Updating images changed since last synchronization.
This sounds to me an at least as bad idea as the one that images are
automatically uploaded by bot. By automatically implementing changes
on your site to the Commons, you let people take control of your bot
and thus leave RecentChanges people on Commons unable to verify who
actually made the edit. Also, I don't think that this behaviour is
GFDL-compliant.

> 4. Removal of requests for removed images, which were uploaded to
> WikiMedia.
I don't understand. Does this feature remove images from your site
which were deleted on Commons? Or does it try to remove images from
Commons which were removed on your site?

> 1. Uploading - WikiMedia Commons does not have an API or other
> completely supported interface, to allow any operations in their system,
> without manual intervention.
Yes, it does. Check http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API for more info on
the MediaWiki API.

> 3. Removal of images - as WikiMedia Commons is a system designed for
> common information sharing, it does not support direct image removal,
> let alone image removal via external system. This synchronization
> component simulates fake JS requests and image information updates to
> notify WikiMedia Commons system regarding the fast image removal demand.
I don't understand what this actually does. Do you make the bot open
deletion requests? Do you make it tag the images for speedy deletion?

Regards,

ChrisiPK