[Commons-l] CommonsHelper 2

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 2 16:46:28 UTC 2009

Hi all,

this is a tool announcement for my second version of CommonsHelper.
You can find it at
http://toolserver.org/~magnus/commonshelper2.php

My original CommonsHelper has been a true workhorse, shoveling over a
quarter of a million files to Commons from other Wikimedia projects.
But, it had some troubles that I could not seem to fix, caused by its
inability to always parse wikitext correctly. So, I rewrote the entire
thing from scratch.

Some items on the new version:
* Only English interface so far. I'll add support in the next few days.
* WikiSense/CheckUsage auto-categorization is offline due to
toolserver database troubles
* All categories, templates, and their "translations" to their Commons
counterparts, as well as "good" and "bad" lists, are now user
configurable through meta.wikipedia.
* The engine now uses my wiki2xml tool to parse the original wikitext,
then alters the XML tree, and finally collapsed the tree back into
wikitext.
* Code is much cleaner now, and uses classes, so it (or some of its
components) might be used in other tools or even in MediaWiki at some
point in the future
* When not using TUSC direct upload, one can now edit the new wikitext
before uploading

If you transfer files from other wikimedia projects, please give the
new version a try, and report bugs to me. As this is a complete
rewrite, it might lack lots of nice details that you were used to from
the old version, and I'll try to add them again where needed.

Cheers,
Magnus