[Commons-l] Beer and copyright

will at avery.homelinux.org will at avery.homelinux.org
Fri Sep 19 22:20:42 UTC 2008

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/Image:Pacifico_lata.jpg

> And another just closed as delete the other day. We have numerous images
> that are ostensibly just, well, images of products:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Marmite-Guinness_edition.JPG
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:A_bottle_of_Budweiser.JPG
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Stolichnaya.jpg
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Stoli.jpg
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Ursuswodka.JPG
>
> This isn't specific to alcohol products, of course--just went for those as
> they seem to be the topic of discussion. Should we be hosting such images?

When this was debated on the Village Pump last year Mike Godwin took what was to
me to me a surprisingly laid back stance.

Asked this question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:MGodwin&diff=147447747&oldid=145526398

... he gave this reply:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commons:Village_pump&diff=next&oldid=6777446