[Commons-l] A strange error

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 04:09:59 UTC 2008

Hi,

I followed a link recently to
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:100_3508.JPG> which was a
nominee in the 2007 POTY competition and has since been deleted
because it was uploaded under another name.

When I attempt to create the page, to add "#REDIRECT
[[:Image:A_storm_at_Pors-Loubous.jpg]]", I get this message:

----------------
Permission error

The name of the file you are uploading begins with PICT, DSC, image,
..., which is a non-descriptive name typically assigned automatically
by digital cameras. Please choose a more descriptive name for your
file.
-----------------

So... this is kind of weird. Is it just a MediaWiki bug? It seems like
this check should only happen when Image: pages are created by new
uploads, as opposed to manual editing. Also I thought the "sensible
filename" thing was a warning rather than an error. And "permission"
is not too accurate for what type of error it is.

Just thought I would check if anyone has any insight on this before
putting it on bugzilla.

thanks
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/