[Commons-l] geograph.org.uk

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 20:44:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Joe Szilagyi <szilagyi at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.geograph.org.uk/
>
> I'd never heard of this project before I saw it on Boing Boing today. A
> million freely licensed images of the UK-- have there ever been any
> discussion of getting with them, to get these on Commons?

I mirrored the whole site a while back (only 700k images then),
converted all their metadata to commons compatible stuff, etc.   But I
encountered mixed feelings on the value on adding the images. Most of
them are low quality, uninteresting, etc.

In terms of coverage the collection is impressive and useful, but it
isn't in pretty much any other way.  If people want this I'd be glad
to make it happen.  It's not even all that expensive in terms of disk
space since most of the images are fairly small.