[Commons-l] Licensing for textures within SVG files

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Wed Nov 12 03:24:31 UTC 2008

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> Ugh.   Are you following up with Inkscape on this or should we look into it?

I can look into it, but it would be useful to know how many of these you
find, so that I can tell how big the problem is before I bring it to
their attention.
> Since we do not allow raster portions in our SVGs
Right now you might not render the textures. But the SVG can be
downloaded directly, and the browser will render the texture.

I wouldn't recommend banning paint textures (rather than images) in
SVGs. If you don't use them, you're limited to plastic surfaces.

    Thanks

    Bruce