[Commons-l] Licensing for textures within SVG files

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 01:50:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Bruce Perens <bruce at perens.com> wrote:
[snip]
> It is possible that Inkscape is not informing image authors that their
> stock textures have a license. Those authors then dedicate the entire
> image to the public domain on Wikimedia, and do not note the licensing
> of the contained texture.

Ugh.   Are you following up with Inkscape on this or should we look into it?

Obviously we expect uploaders to do the right thing with respect to
any works that they derive from. Since we do not allow raster portions
in our SVGs that kills one easy way for third-party rights to sneak in
and generally we'd hope users realize that they have obligations when
they copy from another SVG.  Textures are an obvious way problems
might sneak in.

> Recommended action: parse Wikimedia SVG files to detect <pattern> tags,
> see how many have this problem, fix information pages to indicate
> licensing of the textures, delete inappropriately licensed content if
> necessary.

In progress.