[Commons-l] 100 years old images

Jastrow jastrow at pip-pip.org
Tue May 20 16:59:49 UTC 2008

Le 5/20/08 10:15 AM, contact at robinschwab.ch a écrit :

> Commons is also an image repository for Wikipedia. So we should encourage users
> to upload things to commons and not to the local wikipedias.

Sure.

> However due to discussions like this one people have lost confidence. In German
> Wikipedia and presumably many others use {{NoCommons}} [1] to prevent images
> being moved here.

In my experience, people lose confidence when they realize copyright
laws are much more restrictive than they imagined.

Why would one put something on the Web if one didn't want it used by
others? Why can't I publish the picture of this statue by John Doe (d.
2007) which stands in a public place and which was paid with my tax
money? Why can't I upload the picture of my very own Pokémon(tm)
t-shirt?  How the heck am I supposed to get pictures for my article
about this very popular manga if Commons won't accept screenshots from
the anime? Why can't I upload some press pictures which can be seen on a
ton of different websites? Those are valid questions.

Commons would be much more popular if the policy was more lax. No doubt
about it. Yet I fear that this {{NoCommons}} thing has much to do with
FUD -- you know, the "those Commons guys are freaking nuts who'll delete
just about everything, just upload your copyvio picture here, and no one
will bother you" line of talk.

> And even me as one of the top uploaders here do fear that my work wil get
> deleted how shall newcomers trust Commons? There is something wrong with the
> system here.

Why would you fear about your uploads?

Jastrow