[Commons-l] 100 years old images

contact at robinschwab.ch contact at robinschwab.ch
Tue May 20 08:36:44 UTC 2008

Stan Shebs <stanshebs at earthlink.net> hat am 20. Mai 2008 um 00:14 geschrieben:

> Rama Neko wrote:
> > Assuming the worst case for yourself and the best case for your
> > adversary is a good way not to be surprised. It is safe.
> Actually, it borders on paranoia, as in copyright paranoia. What if the
> "adversary" succeeds in getting both the GFDL and CC licenses ruled
> invalid - there are plenty of companies who might like to profit from
> that, maybe they'll make the investment in lawyers. What if a country
> like Greece or Egypt retroactively extends copyright back 3,000 years,
> and international law requires that everybody else follow suit, and
> effectively abolish the public domain? Once paranoia has you in its
> grip, then all manner of ridiculous things seem possible and even

Stan you took the words right out of my mouth. A typical symptom of that
paranoia is that you start knowing things better than your lawyer. Even if the
lawyer was involved with the local adaption of the Creative Commons license.
This was the case when we wanted to do something about Ramas picture used in a
newspaper. But let's stop talking about this.

Another symptom of the paranoia is that the patients start looking around for
other reasons why an image could be unfree if they can't find a copyright
paragraph. What about personality rights? And moral rights? Religious feelings?
The paranoia patients will find a reason for every image why it's forbidden in
one of our globes countries.

Maybe we should develop an immunization :-)

Regards

Robin