[Commons-l] 100 years old images

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon May 19 15:47:25 UTC 2008

2008/5/19 contact at robinschwab.ch <contact at robinschwab.ch>:

> Rama Neko <ramaneko at gmail.com> hat am 19. Mai 2008 um 14:51 geschrieben:
>
>> I think that it all comes down to two observations:
>>
>> 1) We aim at a good precision; recall is irrelevant.
>> In other terms, we must never present an unfree work as being Free, but
>> missing some Free work is of no consequences.
>
> Objection. You loose thousands of images. If we have to wait hundreds of years
> to digitalize those old annymous works we will loose a significant number of the
> originals. Forever.

This is true but not something we have a mandate to do anything about.
Commons is not in any case much involved in large scale
digitalisation.

There are also better attack lines than PD-presumed if you want to get
into the business of preserving and digitalising decaying works.

> Sad but true: There will be a day where we have found a reason to delete the
> last image on our server.

Doubtful. In any case there are very large numbers of solidly PD works
that we have not even begun to tap.

> And if somebody uses our images without complying with
> the license we say it's below the level of creativity.

We do no such thing.

> You lack guts!

You miss the point. The level of risk we are prepared to accept
individually may be quite high but the project by it's very nature
must be prepared to play fairly safe

--
geni