[Commons-l] Commons-l Digest, Vol 36, Issue 5

Daniel Kinzler daniel at brightbyte.de
Thu May 15 08:56:47 UTC 2008

Sylvain Dufour wrote:
> Yann
> you're right about some acceptation of copyrighted works...
> To answer to Cary Bass, there're some examples in New York streets
> categories... I don't think that the architect of Apple store or some
> recents buildings are already dead... so it's a form of acceptation
> (reagarding fench law)

In the US (and many other places, but not France), the exterior or buildings, as
seen from public places, falls under "freedom of panorama". So there's no
copyright problem, and the date of death of the architect is irrelevant. Also,
with architecture, it's always a question if the design is in fact are, or mere
industrial design -- the latter is not copyrightable.

-- Daniel