[Commons-l] Fwd: Library and Archives Canada images

Henning Schlottmann h.schlottmann at gmx.net
Sun May 4 20:25:13 UTC 2008

Padraic Ryan wrote:
> Right now there are 1,300 images in [[Category:Images from Library and
> Archives Canada]]. While many are PD, many others have been tagged as
> {{CopyrightedFreeUse}} due to some ambiguous language on the LAC website.
> Last fall I emailed them to ask about this, and they finally replied - turns
> out my suspicion was correct, and our current use violates their license.
>
> Is there someone I should be forwarding this to? Assuming they are right,
> some mass deletions are in order. Curiously, they also seem to be asserting
> control over those images which are now PD.

Have you considered that they are wrong in their interpretation of the
copyright status? As far as I know, Canada has the rule of 70y pma and
therefore all the images I reviewed just now are in the public domain.
They can ask, demand and what ever, nothing they can do give them any
right to determine the use of those images.

Ciao Henning