[Commons-l] Categories and the TOL

Nilfanion nilfanion at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 11 10:40:38 UTC 2008

I hate to bring up what I know is a repeating drag on the project, but
our most important sub-project (COM:TOL of course) advocates removal
of content categorisation from useful imagery. I think this
misrepresents the broader lack of consensus on the issue - nevermind
that its contrary to what I think should be done.

I'd like to see the project brought to heel and just use the usual
"keep image in most precise category" methodology. The totally
different method is harmful to the project (merely by being different)
and by its existence is causing confusion at best (like what I'm
reporting now) and downright antagonism at worst.

In fact as far as I can tell *lots* of effort is being wasted by some
users doing one thing (according to the TOL rule) and some doing the
exact opposite. Is there any way we can get this mess over and done
with?