[Commons-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Another free encyclopedia: Encyclopedia of the Cosmos

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 21:08:39 UTC 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>
Date: 6 Mar 2008 20:40
Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Another free encyclopedia:
Encyclopedia of the Cosmos
To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>, Wikimedia

On 3/6/08, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
 >  As an aside, how is Wikipedia/GFDL and CC-by-SA coming along? Is
 >  Wikipedia waiting on GFDL and CC-by-SA to work out compatibility?

(CCing foundation-l, since folks there may be interested-)

 Creative Commons is working actively with us on the "migration checklist":
 http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-December/035677.html

 They are internally discussing a draft statement of intent, and
 they've updated the CC frontpages to reference the Definition of Free
 Cultural Works. Plus, at this point there is a consensus between our
 two organizations that CC-BY-SA should function as a "strong copyleft"
 license, just not yet about the best way to achieve that.

 On the FSF side, we're waiting for a version of the GFDL that has the
 migration language in it; hopefully this will be approved soon.

 So, things are progressing. Given that there are multiple
 organizations involved, plus a commitment from us to only make the
 final step after consultation with the community, it's a complex
 process, but I'll hope we'll get there soon enough -- the
 incompatibility between CC-BY-SA and GFDL is a serious impediment for
 the free culture movement.
 --
 Erik Möller
 Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation