[Commons-l] Panoramio as Images Source

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Fri Jun 13 17:43:14 UTC 2008

Thursday, 12 June 2008, Delphine Ménard wrote:
> This makes me think, out of the blue.
>
> How difficult would it really be for the Foundation (helped around by
> commons contributors) to get together with Flickr' or Panoramio and
> develop a "post your freely-licensed pictures to Flickr and to
> commons at the same time" kind of widget, or something like "ping the
> commons community to review your pictures and upload them to
> commons"?
>
> *I* would love it...

It's a cool idea, but we have to take care to keep people aware that
these are different projects with sometimes very different goals.

From our perspective, we need to ensure that there is traceability and
accountability so that we can deal with people uploading works which
are not theirs to license, and we also need to keep our project scope
in mind.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:LX