[Commons-l] templates and categories (was: Re: Flickr: Brooklyn Museum)

David Monniaux David.Monniaux at free.fr
Wed Jun 11 07:20:13 UTC 2008

Bryan Tong Minh wrote:
> I missed part of the discussion, but PD-XYZ tags should only be used
> if XYZ is the author. We don't want any PD-NARA disasters again.

Just a little remark:
I lately had discussions with content providers who could perhaps
release their content under a free licence, and I needed statistics on
Commons. Templates and categories are really helpful there, because one
can extract statistics from them through SQL queries.

For instance, after some SQL work, I was able to count the ratio of
articles on astronautics on Wikipedia in French that have PD-USGov
illustrations.

In contrast, textual explanations and other things that should be
reviewed by a human do not help.