[Commons-l] Suggestion for improvement

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 23:48:35 UTC 2008

2008/7/26 Platonides <Platonides at gmail.com>:

> New users often want to *upload new files*, not modify current images.
> They are also often the most clueless, so not letting them change
> existing images until autoconfirmed is a good idea.
> Specially because that avoids vandals creating new accounts on commons
> and replacing with penis images the ones on article X.

It also helps discourage accidental overwriting, which used to be
reasonably common - someone would upload something with a fairly
generic filename, not realise they were overwriting an existing image,
and we'd realise a few days later that the Belgian prime minister's
article on several projects was displaying a large photograph of a
train.

--
- Andrew Gray
 andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk