[Commons-l] Institutional stats reports

Jeremy Baron jeremy at tuxmachine.com
Thu Jul 3 22:18:51 UTC 2008

On Jul 3, 2008, at 3:28 AM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 3:05 AM, Brianna Laugher
> <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2008/7/3 Bryan Tong Minh <bryan.tongminh at gmail.com>:
>>> Sounds like a good idea. Combine CheckUsage + domas' Wikistats
>>> and you
>>> have some pretty awesome views per image stats. In fact I don't
>>> see a
>>> reason (except performance) to not make such stats available per
>>> image. And then stuff like total views for images in Category:X
>>
>> Is Commons data in wikistats? I had a feeling it wasn't?
>
> Most of the images views aren't on commons.. they are on Wikipedia.
> What is being suggested is determine where images are used and add up
> the counters for those pages.

So how do you account for images being removed from and added to
pages over time?  For example [[Image:WScottHancock.jpg]] is used on
over 100 pages on en.wp alone atm but that count will likely drop
dramatically in less than a day. <http://toolserver.org/~daniel/
WikiSense/CheckUsage.php?i=WScottHancock.jpg>

For that matter, what about really long pages where people tend to go
to read only part of the page like talk pages?
Should extra weight be given to views of an image or it's description
page directly?  (rather than on an article or other page that
references it)

--Jeremy

[[user:jeremyb]]