[Commons-l] Institutional stats reports

David Monniaux David.Monniaux at free.fr
Thu Jul 3 09:06:56 UTC 2008

Dear Greg,

I cannot agree more with you: raw statistics such as page counts or
links do not take into account the fact that such or such picture was
really helpful to some category of users. (I may sound elitist, but I
gladly prefer to witness that some student is able to get content on,
say, history or science, than a thousand people going to see the latest
news on some worthless TV persona.)

Funding agencies like numbers. In the scientific fields, this has lead
to so-called "bibliometrics", and, unsurprisingly, to various strategies
meant to raise these metrics, often at the expense of the best interests
of science.

One reason while funding providers, and their management (in fine,
answerable to politicians in the case of public agencies, and
businesspeople in the case of private fundations) like number is that
they give an illusion of objectivity, and they are easier to obtain than
human evaluations.

Unfortunately, we have to make do with these quirks. Scientists watch
their h-index, and museums want to know whether their images get hits.
We should provide them with this data if we can.

Regards
DM