[Commons-l] OggSearch: Search in Ogg files

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 11:13:51 UTC 2008

On 31/01/2008, Bryan Tong Minh <bryan.tongminh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some days ago I was looking for video files on Commons. I then noticed
> Commons not only lacked a proper image search, but does not have
> anything to search specifically for video and audio. So I created one:
>
> http://tools.wikimedia.org/~bryan/ogg/
>
> It allows searching in video and audio files, by length, y category,
> by resolution and by audio format. It embeds Wikimedia's ogg player,
> so you can directly view the videos in your web browser.

Well, in theory there is Mayflower's advanced search
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~tangotango/mayflower/search.php?q=rockets&ic=&ec=&ft=aud&sc=gt&sv=&ds=&t=n&z=30&a=0
but it has "a terrible error"
and MediaSearch
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~daniel/WikiSense/MediaSearch.php has a "500
internal error"
:(
how is it OggSearch is not dead?

of course, neither of them do quite the same thing as OggSearch.

Some comments:
1) Cool logo, intro and interface generally - nice and clean.
2) Search options should disappear or be below the search results.
3) Can't search description, only filename?
4) What does "View streams" mean?
5) Playback is cool - but that probably means you need
licensing/author info? Maybe just display the page text?...
6) So when are you extensionising it? ;)

cheers,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/