[Commons-l] Musing with professional photographers: further lessons learned

David Monniaux David.Monniaux at free.fr
Fri Jan 25 18:20:38 UTC 2008

Bryan Tong Minh wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 7:07 PM, David Monniaux <David.Monniaux at free.fr> wrote:
>
>>  - or put a discreet link underneath for the informations (the small
>>  "enlarge this" icon we use at the right of the caption is NOT understood
>>  by most people).
>>

> I in fact never knew what that icon was for until you sent this mail.
> And I'm not exactly new to MediaWiki.
By the way, I'm arguing on another mailing-list that our discussion
interface is deficient: for instance one has to click on '+' to leave a
message, which is not intuitive and does not look like any other
non-MediaWiki site out there. As a consequence, when we tell folks to
"go discuss the issue on the discussion page" they don't even know how
they can do this..

I begin to suspect that many problems with have with outsiders (= people
not from the Wikipedia community) would be alleviated if our user
interface was better understandable, more in line with what users are
used to and they expect.

I think that the templates and menus for filling out image descriptions
and licenses were a step in the right direction.