[Commons-l] Maintainer for FlickrLickr wanted

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 11 11:38:43 UTC 2008

All,

I won't realistically be able to continue to maintain the FlickrLickr bot:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:FlickrLickr

The bot consists essentially of two components:

- a Perl command-line script to fill a MySQL database with information
from Flickr about freely licensed (CC-BY) photos;
- a Perl CGI script to let users choose photos they want to see
uploaded to Commons.

Both these scripts are PD code.

I'll note that I haven't run the database updater for a while, and if
the Flickr API has changed, it may need some fixes.

I'd be happy to provide some initial assistance with setup & use, but
you'd have to find your own hosting, or migrate it to the toolserver.
The script doesn't cause terrible load, but it does create local
copies of the images downloaded from Flickr.

FlickrLickr doesn't currently have a user registration process; I add
new reviewers by hand to the MySQL database. It would probably be wise
to change that, since much of my time was spent authorizing users &
reviewing their work.

It's a pretty powerful tool: Some 10K images have been uploaded
through the FlickrLickr review process.

Is anyone interested in running & maintaining the script?

Best,
Erik