[Commons-l] Musing with professional photographers: further lessons learned

Florian Straub flominator at gmx.net
Tue Feb 12 20:24:46 UTC 2008

Rama Rama <ramaneko at gmail.com> wrote on wed, 23 jan 2008 10:32:11 +0100
and since it has been such a long time I decided to use some kind of
full quote :)

> Yesterday, I exchanged a few e-mails with a professional photographer to
> confirm the licencing status of some of his work on Commons. I
> discovered someone willing to confirm the licence, but evidently quite
> disgruntled by his experience of Commons. Two lessons can be learned
> from what I read:
>
> 1) We are victims of a paradox which forces us to be especially annoying
> with the most precious of our occasional contributors.
> A significant proportion of the high-quality photographs of celebrities
> uploaded on Commons are copyvios. This forces us to be especially
> strident with copyright issues towards well-meant photographers. Short
> of the most courteous civility, repeated requests amount to downright
> harassment, and may appear to question the word of the uploader.
> I don't have a magic formula to break the paradox itself, but we should
> make efforts to sensibilise our users:
> DO:
> * be extremely polite
> * apologise for bothering people with seemingly superfluous paperwork
> * apologise for seemingly doubting their word
> * offer to help and advise personally if the user needs anything
> Commons-related
> * formulise the request in such a way that a simple "OK" from the user
> is sufficient. Open-ended questions are creepy ("what next, my credit
> card number ?") and bothering ("how many bleeding mails will I have to
> send before they are content with what I gave them ?").
> DON'T:
> * assume that the user knows all of our rules. We are there to guide them.
> * assume that the user is aware of problems that we encounter as Commons
> administrators (typically, that most photographs that look like his are
> copyvios).

What about a page or section on a page explaining all this stuff (except
the OK part) to them? We could then point them to there by linking it
from notification and otrs templates ...

> 2) There is definitely a trend of professional photographers to request
> credits under the image in articles. This is what they are accustomed to.
> I (and a few others) think that we should make efforts to sensibilise
> our users to this. We can definitely afford to credit people in
> articles. This is a small concession which costs us very little and can
> benefit us greatly.

As we already saw, this point is quite disputed. I'm going with Andrew
here, who suggested to insert a link to the author when there's a chance
of him getting an article. At German Wikipedia we currently do the same
thing with painters.

On the other hand: Are readers really interested in all these details? I
think the people interested in details will also click the picture to
enlarge it. Then they will see the name of the photographer as well.

Either way I think we need to explain the circumstances to our
contributors, which I just did:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commons%3AFAQ&diff=9938777&oldid=9523525

I also liked the idea of changing the icon below the thunbnails. Maybe
the i-thing or localised text would really be better, but I'm afraid
that's a question for the devs ...

Best regards,

Flo

--