[Commons-l] Thoughts about 'Making Wikimedia Commons less frightening'

Michael Maggs Michael at Maggs.name
Thu Dec 11 20:35:35 UTC 2008

This thread illustrates both what is good and what is bad about Commons.

There is general agreement that Commons could be made more user-friendly
and that we need to reach out and communicate more.

Good:  There are at least 15 decent ideas that have been mentioned, all
of which merit further discussion. So there are plently of ideas around.

Bad:  Everyone has ideas, but nobody has the inclination to take the
lead and to do anything with them. So, nothing happens (again).

Proposal:

(1) That the ideas in this thread be captured, and copied to Commons
under a new project page called (eg) Commons: Outreach.
(2) That we try to build support for taking some of the ideas forward.
The first stage would be to find users who are committed to improving
Commons/the Wikis and who would be prepared to act as sub-project leaders.

What about it?

Michael