[Commons-l] Failure in image descriptions from Bundesarchiv

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Wed Dec 10 15:14:29 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I have a question about the images from the Bundesarchiv. Some chinese
Wikipedians are examining the images took in China. There are some
obvious errors, other images can be more detailed identified.

For example
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Bundesarchiv_Bild_116-127-030,_China,_Tsingtau-Tempel.jpg
is described as a Temple in Tsingtau, but it is indeed [[:en:Temple of
Heaven]] in Beijing.

Another example is this photo
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Bundesarchiv_Bild_137-000591,_China,_Peking,_Stadttor_Tschien_M%C3%B6n.jpg
described as [[:en:Qianmen]] in Beijing, but it is surely not this gate
but some other gate of Beijing because the raws of window does not fit
to the description and historical images.

Examples of images where we can identify more precisely is for example
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Bundesarchiv_Bild_137-004026,_China,_Peking,_Pagode_beim_Sommerpalast.jpg
the depicted pagoda can be identify as this one
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%8E%89%E6%B3%89%E5%B1%B1

Now my questions: Where should we put these informations? Just in the
image page or in the talk page of the images?

Thanks very much

Ting