[Commons-l] Making Wikimedia Commons less frightening

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 01:10:26 UTC 2008

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Maybe we should turn the system around, so our Swedish newcomers
> can upload images to the Swedish Wikipedia, where they are
> patrolled by Swedish speaking admins. Then, the patrolled images
> can be automatically forwarded to Commons, instead of the other
> way around. Even though this would require software development,
> this seems a lot easier than trying to manage the admin community
> on Commons.

So, what about this:
*User uploads from Swedish wikipedia using Special:GlobalUpload (only
for SUL accounts).
*The image is uploaded on commons, where it gets an additional tag with
'uploaded from Swedish wikipedia'.
*Blocked status of both local and commons is taken into account.
*The upload log is created on both commons and wikipedia.
*Once a wrong image is uploaded, there's a race condition between
commons ans Swedish admins to detect it. As commons get much more
images, they're likely to lose it.
*Image can be deleted both by commons admins and local sysops. Local
sysops can't delete it if it's older than a month (or another reasonable
time).
*Upload policies are still those of commons.
*Commons templates are shown at wikipedia on the local language if
available (interesting on its own, but hard).
*Talk page links on uploader should point to Swedish talk (or give links
to both talks).