[Commons-l] Making Wikimedia Commons less frightening

Patricia Rodrigues snooze210904 at yahoo.se
Sat Dec 6 12:20:29 UTC 2008

Lars,

Thank you very much for your e-mail. I'm afraid I don't have any good answers for you - your concern about how to treat people from other communities is a big concern for many people, including myself. I'm afraid I don't have a magic bullet for your problem, but I find the idea of allowing local uploads and then have some sort of automatic forwarding to Commons when things are locally checked a very good one.
There is a striking lack of support for non-English speakers. As you might know, pt.wikipedia also disabled local uploads and the problem you mentioned for sv.wp also stands for pt.wp. I found lately several instances where pt users were perhaps not dealt with in the best manner mainly because of lack of communication. There was in most cases no attempt to fetch a Commons "regular" speaking Portuguese to help. We have a list of administrators by language that is perhaps not being put to use. In any case, it's not covering all languages. If Swedes are in general good English speakers/writers and you find problems, imagine what it is to deal with (mainly) portuguese and brazillians that in most cases have about zero knowledge of English.
No, Commons is far from being good as a multilingual project. I wouldn't recommend disabling local uploads nowadays. Resolving the problems you mentioned requires more communication skills, which we are lacking right now. Our warnings are too scary and many of our admins too aggressive. I'm not sure what we could do to improve the current state of things, but something must change.
Cheers,
Patrícia