[Commons-l] GIFAR vulnerability and commons

Jeremy Baron jeremy at tuxmachine.com
Tue Aug 12 01:09:08 UTC 2008

AIUI, a GIFAR hosted on upload.wikimedia.org marked as a gif file can
do anything with cookies that a standard applet could if hosted on
upload.wikimedia.org.  (if jar were a permitted file type)  That
*should* be limited to reading (and writing?) cookies for
upload.wikimedia.org and .wikimedia.org neither of which have
valuable cookies.

Not storing anything valuable under .wikimedia.org is why you have to
go through [[special:userlogin]] manually for wikispecies and other
smallish wikimedia.org subdomain wikis and you need to load a
seperate image on [[special:userlogin]] for each of the larger
wikimedia.org subdomains that you want to work automatically but
Wikipedias and other projects with their own second level domain have
SUL for all languages just by loading a single
image; .wikipedia.org, .wikibooks.org, etc. do have valuable cookies.

--Jeremy

[[w:en:user:jeremyb]] (globally with SUL)