[Commons-l] Nice one from Durova

Ayelie ayelie.at.large at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 14:37:39 UTC 2007

> On 11/09/2007, Ayelie <ayelie.at.large at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/11/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > http://searchengineland.com/070911-083723.php
>
> > I see this possibly leading to slews of watermarked images stamped with
> > website addresses.
> > :(
>

> So? They're Crappy and will end up being Replaced. Or the watermark
> removed.

They could be good-quality and have a hard-to-remove watermark. Who is going
to go through 200+ images a month and remove watermarks? It isn't easy, and
we already have large backlogs. Prevention is key, but unfortunately a lot
of people in the commercial industry (including pro photographers who are
uploading pictures for commercial reasons) have issues with not being
directly credited. Remember the hullabaloo with the sports photographer
repeatedly reverting his image to the watermarked version, leading its
protection and his departure?

New images are great, but perhaps we should emphasize that watermarks are
Not Allowed. Not just discouraged, but Not Allowed. On an encyclopedia,
having a watermark leading to a website amounts to promotion and such images
shouldn't be on articles purporting to be NPOV.

--
Ayelie
  ~Editor at Large