[Commons-l] Wikimedia Outreach Project

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 06:41:21 UTC 2007

On 03/09/07, Florian Straub <Flominator at gmx.net> wrote:
> Someone, I believe it was Magnus, wrote SumItUp which collects the first sentences of an article in all available languages. Maybe someone could write a tool, that uses CheckUsage in order to retrieve image descriptions from wikipedia articles.

There used to be a bot that did that... it copied any caption the
image was given in any Wikipedia to its Commons page. Haven't noticed
it on my watchlist for a while so probably it's having a bot sleep.
Let's make sure we don't re-invent the wheel, folks :)

To Bryan, if people want to provide captions they would probably
prefer to be able to pick a topic to do it for rather than just
random. So get people to supply a keyword, find the closest category
via CommonSense and just go through all the images in that category.

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/