[Commons-l] Problems with derivative works

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 15:42:58 UTC 2007

On 25/10/2007, Padraic Ryan <padraic.j.ryan at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to me a great first step to solving this problem is having an
> option at [[Commons:Upload]] page like "It is a derivative work of a media
> file already on the Commons" (perhaps also explaining what qualifies as a
> derivative work). This would allow (1) automatically insert some kind of
> template designed to indicate and keep track of derivative works, should one
> be made and more importantly (2) automatically check that the newly uploaded
> work is under the appropriate license - preventing someone from licensing a
> derivative of a GFDL file as CC-BY-SA or PD, etc. I have no technical
> knowledge in this area but that seems possible.

It seems to be a common enough situation that a separate form would be
useful. And given that we encourage deriv works it makes sense to make
it easy for uploaders in that situation. I didn't know how common that
situation was but I've seen several similar comments over the past
months.

So..
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Uploadtext/commonsderivative

I don't know what we can do about magic templates or whatever, but
what's the essentials for this form?

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/