[Commons-l] Problems with derivative works

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:15:13 UTC 2007

On 25/10/2007, Padraic Ryan <padraic.j.ryan at gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems to me a great first step to solving this problem is having an
> option at [[Commons:Upload]] page like "It is a derivative work of a media
> file already on the Commons" (perhaps also explaining what qualifies as a
> derivative work). This would allow (1) automatically insert some kind of
> template designed to indicate and keep track of derivative works, should one
> be made and more importantly (2) automatically check that the newly uploaded
> work is under the appropriate license - preventing someone from licensing a
> derivative of a GFDL file as CC-BY-SA or PD, etc. I have no technical
> knowledge in this area but that seems possible.

That sounds like precisely what we need. (Optional extension to allow
naming more than one source file. Source can be on Commons, on another
Wikimedia project, on the web or described in text.) This will also
encourage a culture of reuse.

Bugzilla feature request, anyone? Writeup of request for wikitech-l?

- d.